Zach Johnson is taking his place among the big boys in golf with two of the shortest clubs in his bag.
On a Plantation Course at Kapalua that should be paradise for the game's longest hitters, Johnson chipped in for his opening birdie and then hit four exquisite wedge shots on the back nine Monday to rally from two shots behind, close with a 7-under 66 and win the Tournament of Champions.
"I just picked it apart," Johnson said.
That was pivotal on the back nine, where five players had a chance to win. Johnson ran off four birdies in a five-hole stretch, all of them with a wedge in his hand, none of the shots particularly easy. He wound up with a one-shot win over Jordan Spieth, the perfect way to start a new year.
Especially after he ended the old one with a win.
Here's a looks at what is in his bag:
• DRIVER: Titleist 913D2 (8.5 degrees, Mitsubishi Diamana Blue Board 73 X shaft)
• Titleist 913F.d (15 degrees, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 7.0 X shaft) and Titleist 913F.d (18 degrees, Fujikura ZCom Pro 95 shaft):
• HYBRID: Titleist 909H (Fujikura Speeder 904HB shaft)
• IRONS: Titleist AP1 712 (4 Iron, True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 shaft) and Titleist AP2 714 (5-9 Irons, True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 shafts)
• WEDGES: Titleist Vokey Design SM4 (48°, 54°True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 shaft) and Titleist Vokey Design Hand Ground V-Grind (60° True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 shaft)
• PUTTER: SeeMore FGP Black
• BALL: Titleist Pro V1x